Sunday, January 4, 2009

Kitchen Tips: Morning Meals (AKA Breakfast!)

I love getting up early to make breakfast for my family on Saturdays. Nothing else really makes me feel like "Mom."


Of course, my kids are too young right now to enjoy this, so for now it's mostly for me and my husband. I usually make omelets, hash browns and sausage and sometimes some fruit. (Trying to add more fruit so I can preserve my sexy!)


Here are my tips to getting breakfast done fast!


  • Make an "omelet kit." Sounds corny as hell, but it works. If you have a little bit of meat leftover from a meal earlier in the week (pot roast, turkey, steaks, chicken breast, etc.) put it in a bag and freeze it for the weekend. Throw in some onions and peppers, and you'll be able to saute and add eggs. Omelet in minutes!

  • Wash dishes the night before and set up the pots and pans you'll need. I know, you're supposed to do this regardless, but waking up to a clean kitchen helps you get ready to cook. Also, put your pots and pans in the dishwasher (if you have one) as soon as you are finished making breakfast.

  • Do brunch so you only have to cook twice that day. Prepare a hearty brunch around 10:30 a.m. and your family will be good to go until about 3 or so. At which time you can toss them some snacks until you're ready to cook dinner.

Any other time-saving breakfast tips you have? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment