Friday, July 17, 2009

Quick Summer Recipe: Watergate Salad


Watergate Salad

Recipe by Dr. Yakini Etheridge


Dr. Yakini Etheridge is a clinical psychologist and mom blogger living in NYC. She loves being a wife and mother to a boisterous baby boy, and blogs about her experiences as a new mom at The Prissy Mommy Chronicles (http://www.prissymommy.com/).


She says:
This really is a delightful dish to serve in the summer, at a barbecue or tea party. The various textures and refreshingly cold taste of this sweet, fruit "salad" make it a popular classic at most gatherings! It's also very pretty to look at! I remember first tasting this in the fifth grade, and I fell in love with it then! I'm not sure of the origins of the name. The story that I once heard is that this salad was named after the Watergate scandal: All of the politicians who got involved were "nuts"! :-)


Ingredients:
1 (3.4 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple 1 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows 1 (12 ounce) container Cool Whip Topping, thawed 1 cup flaked coconut 1 cup maraschino cherries, drained and halved 2 cups walnuts (or pecans)

Procedure:
In a large bowl, combine pudding mix and pineapple; mix well. Add marshmallows and 3/4 of the container of dessert topping (add more to get a creamier consistency). Toss in the coconut; mix well. Slowly add pineapple juice to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and chill for at least an hour before serving.
By day three, you may choose to add additional pineapple juice to the salad to freshen it as it dries.


post signature

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the feature!!!

    I just love this dish in the warm weather, because it's so cool and refreshing.... in fact, I think I'm going to make it this weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delish. Are the cherries and nuts added at the same time as the coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. Great post, concise and easy to understand. I like this post..
    I found out that this blog is very interesting and informative.
    Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete