Saturday, May 16, 2009

Tasty tip: Low-fat brownies


Ever since I had my son, I've been suffering from an INTENSE sweet tooth. I mean, it's rough. Every night I need to have a taste of something sweet or there will be some problems.


I got out a box of brownie mix recently and I realized I was pouring in a half cup of oil. Considering I usually eat most of the brownies myself, I Googled some alternatives.


Which leads me to today's tip: I read that you can swap applesauce for the oil and it will keep the brownies moist. Because it's so much chocolate, you can't really taste the applesauce. I tried it - and it works.


The brownies do come out more on the cake side rather than the gooey, fudgy sweets I like so much, but with less than half the calories, I guess I can live, right?


post signature

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I'm a brownie addict... Now I'll be able to rationalize it... I mean applesauce counts as a fruit right?? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!!! Guilt-free brownies.... ive died and gone to heaven (lol).

    Great idea for a blog.... lovely design!

    @ SweetWifey on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would love to guest post a recipe. :-) Just let me know the particulars!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow--seriously?! Oh snap--I'm SO going to do that! So you did a half cup of applesauce?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, this is not about brownies but instead about the fact that I COOKED BEANS MYSELF! Tara, you know all about me and my cooking. These beans, pinto beans, came in a bag. Took me 24 hours with the overnight soak, added some seaonings, some poor turkey's neck, and was patient for what seemed like hours. They turned out perfect! The kids loved them. Aint that something?! I got a thumbs up from the hubby followed by the question of what are we going to eat with them. Thank goodness he already had the answer to that. This was just an experiment mostly. :)

    ReplyDelete